June 20, 2011
July 6, 2015
November 16, 2015
Effective Date: December 1, 2015
Charter Bylaw 18381
May 7, 2018
The following features may project into a required Setback or Separation Space as provided for below:
1. a. verandas, porches, eaves, shade projections, unenclosed steps, chimneys, belt courses, sills, together with any other architectural features which are of a similar character, provided such projections do not exceed 0.6 m in the case of Setbacks or Separation Spaces of 1.2 m or greater. Where unenclosed steps extend into Side Setbacks, such steps shall not exceed a Height of 1.0 m;
b. Notwithstanding subsection 44.2(a), unenclosed steps, including a landing 1.5 m2 or less, may project into a required Setback, provided:
i. the unenclosed steps or landing provide access to the main floor or lower level of the building;
ii. the unenclosed steps or landing do not exceed a Height of 1.0 m above finished ground level;
iii. a minimum of 0.15 m between the structure and the property line at ground level remains unobstructed to provide drainage; and
iv. at the discretion of the Development Officer, Privacy Screening is provided to prevent visual intrusion into the Abutting property.
c. Notwithstanding subsection 44.2(a) or 44.2(b):
i. Platform Structures and unenclosed steps, including landings, shall not project into a required Setback used for vehicular access; and
ii. eaves or similar architectural features on Accessory buildings, provided that such projections do not exceed 0.6 m in the case of Setbacks or Separation Spaces of 1.2 m or greater, and 0.46 m for Setbacks or Separation Spaces of less than 1.2 m.
2. a) windows, or cantilevered projections without windows, provided that such projections do not exceed 0.6 m in the case of Setbacks or Separation Spaces. In all cases, a minimum distance of 0.6 m from the property line to the outside wall of such projection and all other portions of a Dwelling, including eaves, shall be maintained; and
b) where a cantilevered projection as specified in subsection 44(2)(a) above is proposed in a Side Setback, the length of any one projection shall not exceed a wall opening length of 3.1 m. In the case of more than one projection, the aggregate total shall not exceed one third of the length of that house side wall excluding attached Garage walls. In the case of a Corner Lot, this restriction is applicable only to the interior Side Setback and not the flanking Side Setback. This restriction shall not apply to projections into the Front or Rear Setback.
November 28, 2016
3. a) Platform Structures provided such projections do not exceed 2.5 m into a Front Setback;
b) Platform Structures provided such projections do not exceed 2.0 m into any other Setbacks or Separation Spaces with a depth of at least 4.0 m;
c) Platform Structures provided such projections do not exceed 0.6 m into any other Setbacks or Separation Spaces with a depth of less than 4.0 m; and
d) Notwithstanding subsection 44(3)(b) and subsection 44(3)(c), Platform Structures 0.6 m or less in Height may be constructed to the Lot lines Abutting an interior Side Yard and Rear Yard;
Charter Bylaw 18387
May 7, 2018
Charter Bylaw 18967
August 26, 2019
e) Any structures attached to the principal building, including Platform Structures, may be constructed to the common property line of a Semi-detached, Row Housing or Multi-unit Housing development to the satisfaction of the Development Officer.”;
February 26, 2018
4. A single Storey Unenclosed Front Porch may project from the first Storey of a Dwelling a maximum of 2.5 m into a required Front Setback, provided that a minimum of 3.0 m is maintained between the Front Lot Line and the Unenclosed Front Porch.
November 28, 2016
5. accessibility ramps may project without limits into a required Setback provided:
the ramp provides access to the main floor or lower level of the building;
in a Residential Zone:
the ramp is not located in a required 3.0 m Side Setback where there is no Lane Abutting the Site;
the area of any landing is less than 3.6 m2; and
the maximum ramp width is 1.2 m.
swimming pools, fish ponds, ornaments, flagpoles, or the like provided that swimming pools shall not be constructed within any Front Setback
any loading space required under the provisions of this Bylaw, provided it shall not be in a Front Setback;
a Parking Area required under this Bylaw, provided that no Parking Area in any Zone shall be located within the Front Yard. This shall not prohibit the use of a Front Yard for Driveways; and
not be allowed where a minimum Side Setback of 3.0 m is required for vehicular access to the rear of the Site unless a minimum vertical clearance of 3.0 m is maintained from the finished Grade to the lowest point of the projection.